Monday, July 23, 2007

Boredom:(

The last 15 days must surely constitute the most boring fortnight of my life. I thought that things would be so cool after placements. They are after a fashion, but the tremendous vacuity that I feel is nauseating. There is a lack of purpose, with nothing on the horizon, and nothing expected to appear there either, just a big empty void in which you can sit and brood (or sleep!) but not achieve or feel much of anything.

I have always thought of myself as a slightly irregular but a disciplined person. I might not wake up on time due to laziness, but if I had to wake up before everyone for something, then I would do it, I could do it. Even that faculty seems to be gone. After repeating trying the same for the last 5-6 days, I have failed miserably and I feel tired-tired all the damn time! And for a person who likes to feel fit, all this is extremely depressing.

The boredom stems also from the fact that almost everybody else is preparing for CAT while I am not. Although I and Adi have talked each other into believing that MBA at this stage is all ‘moh maya’ and that we want to become engineers, I sometimes wonder if I got convinced of this so easily because my preparation was sucky anyway. Were I as good as tiddi or gupta, would I give up the CAT avenue as I easily as I have done now? Would Adi?

The high points have been the documentaries that I have seen over these days. The one on Hitler was absolutely amazing. Though it gave only a somewhat superficial sketch of the man, the footage in it was awesome. So many dead, so much suffering-all for one man’s fanaticism. It reminds me of King Laman in the Wheel of Time series. In it too, were all the lands from Cairhien to Tar Valon razed due to that man’s folly and pride.

The other one was on String Theory. As an engineer I was expecting that things would get slightly more technical so that I could actually understand what they mean when they say that efforts to unite Gravitation and Electro magnetism have repeatedly failed. Some equations would have been welcome, but I guess BBC wallahs make their documentaries for absolute laymen (that I suppose is as should be). As I was watching the documentary, I found myself putting forward hypotheses like every armchair scientist does, and amazingly, every single thing I had thought turned ot to be correct. Well, as correct as things expressed without mathematics can be in the world of Physics.

Of string theory and parallel universes I have much to say, some very interesting discussions which I will put here as soon as I have t

No comments:

Post a Comment