Thursday, September 20, 2007

Shibboleth+lisp

Sitting here in the training room Nalanda at my ofiice, with the steady hum of the trainers voices lulling my mind and making my thoughts drift arbit-ward, I just had this amazing thought. The thought came thus: I lisp( or maybe I should say lifp). And I suddenly realized that this trainer babbling about something or the other, is a shibboleth( speaks 's' in place of 'sh').

Now anyone can tell you that 's' is not a lispist's favourite consonant. So I thought, what would it be like for a guy(or girl,whatever) to be both a shibboleth and lisp at the same time. How terrible mangled the English language sound, when left in the care of such an individual. And how terrible( or funny, depending on your taste) would it be for the listener.

Consider the following sentence:Shashank should have shown him the chateau....It is hard to figure out exactly how this would sound in the tongue of the aforementioned fated person, but after repeated trials i have come to the conclusion that it would be something like: Fafank fud have fon him the fatoo. blink.gif

Not pleasant, considering that I myself am halfway there.

Apart from thinking up stuff like this occasionally, I remain firmly on sanity's terra firma, enjoying a hyderabadi sun come out after almost 1 week.The company gave me 2 days off to "recover from the strenous training before you are assigned to your respective teams and real projects".

Couldn't have been better for me. After sleeping my a** for almost 1 month in training sessions on arcane topics, I get 2 days off to "recover' from it laugh.gif
Might get a lil boring though.

2 comments:

  1. I take this (to others)nauseating pleasure in correcting people when they mispronounce (due to ignorance or because of lisp/shibboleth or because that 'sound' doesn't exist in their native tongue). But I do it in good humor, no malice in heart.
    The thing is, I genuinely think its an interesting deviation to the language. Take for instance, the bihari english accent, so often spoofed, or Gujrati accent or, for that matter any of the myriad accents that people bring to this unifier of all speaking world. I think these enrich the language, give it a distinctively new flavour. Its a contribution to the language rather
    than 'terribly mangling' it. Don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, moderating comments on your blog is a bit autocratic. Isn't it?

    ReplyDelete