Friday, March 14, 2008

The Scientific Method # 5

My reply:

Hi,

Writing this after reading both your mails.

>>>>>>>>>>>>
Can you not describe your motion at every single instant of time?
>>>>>>>>>>>>

In what terms will I know it? In what terms will I describe it? Other than
probably Saying "I'm moving damn fast!!!!!" which doesn't mean
anything.That's what I mean when I say that understanding presupposes a mode
of expression.

>>>>>>>>>>>>
what do I do if I want to know its motion both in space domain and time
domain simultaneously?
>>>>>>>>>>>>
Suppose you want to tell what an elephant looks like from front and behind.
Can you say it using a single language construct? You will have to say it in
2 different statements.

Man you can know it but HOW WILL YOU SAY/EXPRESS IT? All external symbols
and formulae are means to conveying that to-fro motion of the pendulum. You
are falling into Kapra's "map for territory"
Trap - thinking that symbols mean something independently of the phenomena
they are attached to.
They do not. They are a map using which you have to visualise the territory.

>>>>>>>>>>>
Another point with the usage of mathematics for this approximation.
Science
in its attempt to make a discrete event as continuous as possible,
introduces the concept of "dt" or 'delta t'. Science has not given a
scientific, mathematical definition of 'delta t'. The definition is of
intuitive nature and to make it mathematical, have introduced the idea of
limits. (tending to zero but not equal to zero. Is it not a proof enough of
the inadequacy of science to explain phenomena?
>>>>>>>>>>>

"Delta t" is a way of saying that however small a change is, maths can track
it. Observe that the Final deliverables of maths, i.e., equations, don't
have deltas in them.

V = u + at ---------- 1
may be derived using delta but as an 'end-user', you are free to enter any
random time instant/interval in this equation.
Delta T is way of modelling an arbitrary precision time interval.


>>>>>>>>>>>
Can you not describe your motion at every single instant of time? When
you are doing a scientific
analysis, are you not taking snapshots at discrete intervals and then
trying to construct a
continuous picture out of it?
>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes I am. And I can tell you that I am successful because now you can
enter any value of t in
Equation 1 and the answer would be correct. I would consider that
damning evidence in favour of
the scientific method!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>
We both know that y(t)= A sin(w*t) is different from y(t) = A'cos(w'*t).
When I say understanding it,I mean I should be able to able to identify
that
there is some difference between these two, without constructing their
equations.
>>>>>>>>>>>

Without showing me the equation, what will you say? How would you convey
to me the difference between
the two?

>>>>>>>>>>>
Can we define acceleration as something more than dv/dt?
>>>>>>>>>>>

Well we definitely can!!!! All bike/car enthusiasts define it as 0 to
100 kmph in x seconds :-)
Even here you see that all these guys need this figure to express how
fast a bike is, and looking
at this figure( the analog for physics equations), a bike enthusiast
will know how slow or fast a bike is.

No comments:

Post a Comment